When evaluating the latest “hot” herb, it’s a good idea to look to the past for clues. After all, people all over the world have been using herbs to nurture health and well-being for millennia. While some natural ingredients skyrocket in popularity purely due to fad, others that become overnight sensations have been existing quietly in the background for ages. Hemp falls in the latter category.
A History of Hemp
Hemp is not new to herbalism. In fact, some archaeologists think Hemp may have been one of the earliest plants in the world to be cultivated by people. Its first use was likely for textiles, dating back as early as 8,000 BCE in Japan and Mesopotamia. Ancient Chinese and Indian people also used Hemp seeds as a nutritious food.1,2 The herb was used in Traditional Chinese Medicine to support overall wellness.*3 There was even a Chinese goddess of Hemp, Magu, who was portrayed as a beautiful woman holding stalks of cannabis. So, it should be no surprise that Hemp still remains a popular herb in Traditional Chinese Medicine today as it’s thought to be neutral in energy (neither yin nor yang) and is believed to nourish the organs.*4
Why is Hemp so Popular?
Why are products made from Hemp so popular right now? One thing that has changed is the recent passage of the Agriculture Improvement Act of 2018 (also known as the 2018 Farm Bill). This removed all parts of the Hemp plant from being categorized as a Schedule I substance under the Controlled Substances Act in the United States (meaning a drug with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse).5
Gaia Herbs fully endorses this recognition that Hemp is not a dangerous substance, as Hemp is very low in THC, the psychoactive substance found in marijuana. Gaia Herbs views Hemp as an herb like any other. As a result of this change in Hemp’s legal status, the marketplace is rapidly filling with Hemp products. But these products are not all of the same quality. That’s why it’s important to choose carefully when shopping for Hemp products.
As a trusted leader in herbal products since 1987, Gaia Herbs has long recognized the potential of Hemp as a beneficial herb. With its recent change in legal status, we are pleased to introduce two new Hemp products: Hemp Full Spectrum Extract 10 mg and Hemp Full Spectrum Extract 20 mg — bringing our same reverence for plants to our new Hemp line.
Hemp Done the Right Way — The Gaia Way
We approach Hemp the same way we approach every herb — with a focus on creating the highest quality plant-based supplements that deliver the full expression of nature. That means:
- We are committed to full spectrum extracts. Our Hemp products offer the full range of constituents found in Hemp flowers—not just isolated CBD—so they work in synergy with each other.*
- Our Hemp products are extracted from Hemp flowers, which are known to have the highest concentration of cannabinoids of any other part of the Hemp plant.
- We use American-grown Hemp and donate a portion of the proceeds from our Hemp products to organizations that support American family farmers.
- We put as much attention on the base as we do on the lead ingredient. That’s why our Hemp extracts are blended with a base of organic Hemp seed oil, which contains additional compounds from the Hemp plant, and organic Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs) from coconut oil, for a clear consistency and protection against rancidity.
- Our Hemp products have a pleasant floral aroma and deliver a satisfying flavor experience with no waxy texture or unpleasant aftertaste.
- We focus on purity and consistency. Our Hemp products are thoroughly screened for impurities and toxins, with test results available on Meet Your Herbs®, the world’s first traceability platform.