As we make our way through the last few weeks of Summer, the weather is extremely hot across the country, with some areas experiencing record high temperatures.
This type of weather is the perfect recipe for sun-drenched and sunburned skin that feels dry, uncomfortably hot, and sometimes itchy.
Next time you are dealing with the discomfort from overexposure to the sun, try making this easy DIY Herbal & Aloe After-Sun Spray, which is the perfect blend of cooling and soothing ingredients to help your skin feel better quickly.*
What is an After-Sun Spray?
An after-sun spray is a cooling and refreshing body spray that can be used topically on the face and body to help soothe your skin after spending too much time in the sun.
With the added benefits of herbs and botanical ingredients, an after-sun spray can help rehydrate the skin and also ease discomfort if your skin is feeling dry, hot, and/or irritated.*
When Should You Use an After-Sun Spray?**
You can use an after-sun spray anytime your skin is feeling parched after too much sun exposure. We recommend keeping a spray bottle around at all times so this cooling spray is always within easy reach.
We particularly love having it on hand during the Summer at the beach or when camping. And, it is especially nice this time of year to store this Herbal & Aloe After-Sun Spray in the refrigerator for an extra-cooling burst.
It is also a great soothing spray as the weather grows colder outside and you are dealing with wind-chapped, flaky, and extra dry skin that is common in the Fall and Winter seasons.
Herbal & Aloe Cooling After-Sun Spray Recipe
Yields: 8oz of after-sun spray
- Half Pint / 8 oz Mason Jar
- Wax Paper or Plastic Lids
- Fine Strainer
- Two 4 oz spray bottles
- Approximately 6 oz Witch Hazel
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs – we recommend Calendula, Plantain, and Comfrey leaf
- 1 oz bottle Gaia Herbs Gotu Kola Leaf, Certified Organic Liquid Extract
- 3 tbsp 100% Aloe Vera gel
- Rough chop your herbs and fill the mason jar half full with fresh herbs.
- Pour Witch Hazel over the top of the herbs and fill to the top of the jar.
- Close the jar tightly and shake well.
- Label the jar with the herbs included and the date. (Pro tip: If using a regular mason jar lid, use a piece of wax paper under your lid as alcohol tends to rust the metal lids. For this reason, reusable plastic lids are a great option to use instead.)
- Roll or gently shake the jar to agitate the mixture every few days and allow it to infuse for two weeks.
After Two Weeks:
- Place the funnel over a new mason jar with the strainer on top. Lay a piece of cheesecloth over your strainer and pour your contents over.
- Fold up the sides of your cheesecloth and squeeze out any excess liquid.
- Combine the herb-infused Witch Hazel, the 1 oz bottle of Gotu Kola Leaf liquid extract, and the Aloe Vera gel together in the mason jar. You can also add a few drops of your favorite essential oil.
- Shake well to combine and then pour this mixture into your spray bottles.
- Label with the contents and the current date.
- Spray generously on your skin as needed. You can store at room temperature, or in the refrigerator for a cooling treat for your skin. Our Herbal & Aloe After-Sun Spray should remain good to use for up to a year. Enjoy!