Recipe provided by Rachelle Robinett, Gaia fan and fantastic herbalist! Find her on Instagram @RachelleRobinett.
Black Elderberry supplements and hot toddies are both seasonal staples. With the help of herbalist Rachelle Robinett, we’ve combined them to create a delicious herbal mocktail that can help you stay warm and feeling your best this winter.* Keep reading for the scoop on its beneficial ingredients and to get the full tasty, toasty recipe.
The Main Ingredient: Black Elderberry for a Wellness Boost*
Black Elderberries are tiny but mighty: These small, bluish-purple fruits of the Sambucus nigra plant have been used for centuries to help sustain immune health.* Though traditional herbalists didn’t know exactly how they provided such support, we do today. Elderberries contain antioxidant polyphenols, specifically flavonoids, constituents that can help maintain the body’s natural defenses to keep us feeling well—during immune season and all year long.*
At Gaia Herbs, we blend age-old herbal traditions and modern scientific expertise to bring you our line of immune-supporting Black Elderberry products, including our Certified Organic Black Elderberry Tonic.* Made with just four whole-food, non-GMO ingredients—organic Black Elderberries, organic raw apple cider vinegar with the “mother,” organic raw honey, and organic Acerola—it’s a modern spin on the time-honored oxymel (a wellness elixir of vinegar and honey) and a deliciously different way to support overall well-being.* You can enjoy it right off the spoon or mixed in drinks like this herbal hot toddy; keep scrolling for the recipe.
Superstar Supporting Players: Ginger + Kava for Comfort & Calm*
Ginger is traditionally regarded as having warming energetic properties, making it perfect in a hot toddy.* Like Black Elderberry, this subtropical plant (Zingiber officinale) is also used for immune health, though it is perhaps most widely known for its ability to help relieve occasional nausea and upset stomach.* Our Ginger Root liquid extract is an easy addition to this recipe for a little extra support.*
Kava (Piper methysticum), a member of the pepper family, is traditionally used to support a calm and relaxed feeling during times of stress.* At Gaia Herbs, our Kava is sustainably sourced from our trusted wildcrafting partners on the islands of Vanuatu, where the herb is said to have originated and has been used for centuries. We use only Noble varieties and only Kava root in our products, no above-ground parts. If you’re feeling a little frazzled, our Kava Root liquid extract is a great add-in to this recipe to help you maintain balance.*
Black Elderberry Hot Toddy Mocktail Recipe
Watch the toddy being made here!
This recipe starts with an herbal toddy concentrate, which can be used to make multiple beverages, the exact number of which depends on how much you like per glass. You can sip on this mocktail any time of day to warm up and support your overall good health.* Or, in those times when you occasionally overindulge, consider it a post-meal herbal helping hand.*
- ~8 oz water
- 1+ cup fresh or frozen blueberries (plus any dried for garnish, if you like)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (+/- ground cardamom, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 4 tbsp fresh orange juice
- ~2 tbsp raw honey (or to taste)
- Gaia Herbs Ginger Root liquid extract (4 dropperfuls, or about 2 droppers per final serving)
- Gaia Herbs Black Elderberry Tonic or Black Elderberry Syrup, if you prefer (1 serving for each final drink)
- Gaia Herbs Kava Root liquid extract (1 serving per glass, optional)
- Cinnamon stick, orange wedges and dried orange, etc. for garnish (optional)
- 1. To make the herbal toddy concentrate: Add water, blueberries, cinnamon (and any additional spices), vanilla, and orange juice to a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a gentle boil, reduce the heat, and let it simmer lightly for 10 minutes. Then, mash and/or whisk blueberries well. Remove from heat and let cool to drinking temperature. Stir in honey and ginger extract. Strain into a serving container. (A French press works well, too!)
- 2. To each serving glass:
- Optional: Rim with orange wedge.
- Sprinkle in some dried blueberries.
- Add desired amount of herbal toddy concentrate to each glass.
- Add one serving Black Elderberry Tonic or Black Elderberry Syrup.
- Add Kava extract if using.
- Garnish with cinnamon stick, dried orange, or otherwise (optional). Enjoy!