It’s that time of the year when you just want to cozy up with a warm and tasty treat fresh from the oven. It’s also immune season, when it is vitally important to shore up your body’s natural defense network against respiratory challenges and generally show yourself a little extra love.
Our Golden Milk Cookies and our Black Bean Immune Shine Brownies each fit both bills: The sweets are rich and delicious and made with our Golden Milk and Immune Shine™ supplements, respectively, which can support your mind and body and help you maintain good health.* Read on for the recipes.
What Is Golden Milk?
Golden Milk, also sometimes called turmeric milk, has been a staple drink in India for centuries. Although there are many different ways to make this beverage, it always contains, as you might have guessed, Turmeric and milk (animal or plant-based)—along with other spices and, typically, some type of sweetener. Because it contains Turmeric, the drink is bright gold in color, hence the name. It is served hot and is often consumed as a soothing beverage before bedtime.
Our Golden Milk powder is based on the traditional Ayurvedic (the ancient holistic healing system of India) recipe that has been revered for centuries to support both body and mind.* It is a favorite of adults with busy, overactive lives in search of a mindful moment.* Made with organic Turmeric, Ashwagandha, dates, cardamom, and vanilla, it tastes great in both dairy and non-dairy milks and coffee…and cookies!
Turmeric has been traditionally used to support the immune system as well as to promote healthy digestion and cardiovascular health.* Curcumins, the active components of Turmeric, can help reduce occasional inflammation due to normal daily wear and tear.* Ashwagandha is considered an adaptogen; adaptogenic herbs are traditionally used for helping cope with stress in a healthy way.*
Gaia Herbs Golden Milk Cookies
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Makes: Approximately 18 cookies
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cultured organic unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons organic dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon organic vanilla extract
- 1 free range organic local egg yolk
- 1 1⁄2 cups organic unbleached all-purpose flour or organic whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2-3 tablespoons Golden Milk
- Dice cold butter into medium cubes and separate the egg yolk. Set both aside and let them come to room temperature.
- Once tempered, beat the butter, sugars, and salt for several minutes on medium speed in an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg yolk, beat until smooth. Add Golden Milk, beat until smooth. Reduce the speed and add the flour half a cup at a time. Stop the mixer as soon as the dough is just mixed. Finish mixing by hand to bring it together.
- Using a cookie baller, scoop the cookies on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper into the desired size and place into the refrigerator to set for at least 15 minutes. While the cookies are setting, preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake for approximately 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool in the pan.
- Enjoy plain or dust with an equal-parts-mix of confectioners’ sugar and Gaia’s Golden Milk.
Mushrooms & Herbs for Immune System Support*
The fruiting bodies of mushrooms such as Maitake and Chaga contain polysaccharides, specifically a type called beta-glucans, which have been studied to support immune health and overall wellness as well as normal, healthy cell growth and turnover.*
Maitake (Grifola frondosa) is commonly known as Hen of the Woods. It was highly valued in Japanese and Chinese traditional medicines for its support of the immune system.* In fact, during Japan’s feudal era, Maitake was used as currency, often exchanged for its weight in silver. Chaga has been wild-crafted and utilized by the people of northern Europe and Russia for hundreds of years, often consumed as a tea. It contains potent triterpenoid compounds, which it synthesizes with help from its host: mature birch trees.*
Our Immune Shine powder blend contains Maitake and Chaga along with Black Elderberry, Ginger, and Astragalus, herbs traditionally used to maintain overall well-being.* Adding Immune Shine to your daily routine, whether in a smoothie, glass of milk, or another beverage—or, yes, even brownies—is an easy way to support your body’s natural defenses.*
Gaia Herbs Black Bean Immune Shine Brownies (GF)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: About 40 minutes
Makes: 12 brownies
- 1 can (15 ounces) organic black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup bittersweet or semisweet organic chocolate chips, divided in half
- 3 tablespoons organic avocado oil
- 3 large organic local eggs, room temperature
- 2/3 cup organic cane sugar or organic brown sugar
- 1/2 cup organic cocoa powder
- 1-2 tablespoons Immune Shine, to taste
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4-1/2 cup organic walnuts (optional)
- Black Elderberry Syrup (optional)
- Add the beans, 1/4 cup of the chocolate chips, and oil to a food processor; cover and blend until combined.
- Add eggs, sugar, cocoa, Immune Shine, vanilla, baking powder, and salt; cover and process until smooth.
- Transfer to a greased or parchment-lined 8-inch square baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips and walnuts, if using. Bake at 350°F for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the brownies comes out clean. Cool. Drizzle with Black Elderberry syrup if using. Cut into 12 squares.
Brownie recipe notes:
- A drizzle of Black Elderberry Syrup can add a little extra sweetness and immune support.*
- You can use any oil you have on hand that you would normally use for baking, such as canola. Avocado oil was chosen because avocados are good sources of antioxidants, which can powerfully benefit the immune system. Walnuts are also rich in antioxidants.
- To make the recipe vegan as well as gluten-free, substitute vegan chocolate chips and flax eggs or another vegan egg replacer.