The holidays are the perfect time of year to show appreciation for the women who make the world go round. What better way to say thank you than by giving gifts that support wellness, self-care, and sustainable living?
The editorial team at Gaia Herbs has put together this carefully curated holiday gift list that any mother, wife, aunt, partner, girlfriend, sister, friend, boss, and co-worker is sure to love.
Gifts For Natural Foodies
Gourmet gifts are a holiday tradition, but too many cookies, cakes, and other indulgent treats can get old fast.
Instead, give the gift of real, nourishing, whole foods to your favorite nutrition nuts, natural foodies, and gourmets.
Tip: Make sure your gift recipient has no food allergies or diet restrictions before purchasing.
1: DIY Microgreens Growing Kit
Microgreens, the “baby” versions of full-grown vegetables, are one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet. Studies have shown these micro-miracles boast 4-40 times more nutrients than adult vegetables and are delicious when added to salads, entrees, soups, and even smoothies.REF#84
They’re also easy to grow at home with a microgreens growing kit.
There are several DIY growing systems to choose from, most of which come with a seed subscription, so you always have healthy greens on-hand. And the best part? These systems are designed to be fool-proof, so you don’t need a green thumb, a lot of space, or growing experience. Most microgreens can be grown in a glass jar!
2. Organic Produce Or Pasture-Raised Butcher Boxes
Natural foodies love to eat fresh fruits and vegetables. Make it easy for them with a one-time gift or subscription to an organic produce box service. Typically, customers can choose what they want in their box, and it is shipped directly to their door.
If you have meat lovers on your list, a butcher box with organic and/or pasture-raised proteins will be a welcomed gift. Several companies offer this service and will ship a selection of fresh-frozen meats to their doorstep.
Gifts For A Healthier Home
If you have friends who are dedicated homebodies or crazy about non-toxic living, give the gift of better indoor air quality with these simple, eco-friendly home products.
#3: Non-toxic Candles
Most candles are made with petroleum products and artificial fragrance that pollute and degrades indoor air quality.
Instead, gift non-toxic, 100% natural, eco-friendly candles. Some of the best options are:
- 100% beeswax candles
- Soy-based candles
- Hemp-based candles
- Unscented or scented only with 100% pure essential oils
Some companies even offer beeswax candle-making kits in holiday themes, which makes a great gift for crafters and children.
#4: Organic Sheet Sets
Given that we spend about one-third of our lives in bed, it’s no wonder most women cannot have enough high-quality sheets.
When choosing an organic sheet set as a gift, look for the following:
- Opt for organic sheet sets made from natural fibers like cotton, silk, linen, or hemp.
- Avoid mixed or blended fibers, which may appear 100% natural, but have been mixed with synthetic to improve texture and/or price point.
- Choose bamboo sheets with caution. Bamboo has many excellent characteristics, but turning this grass into rayon requires several less-than-eco-friendly chemicals. Some brands claim they do not use chemical processing, so do your due diligence before purchasing.
- Avoid wrinkle-free, anti-static, or easy-care sheets. These may appear convenient and natural but are treated with formaldehyde-releasing chemicals.REF#85
Thanks to the growing awareness about organic fabrics' health and environmental benefits, there are dozens of brands for every style and budget.
She’ll be singing your praises every time her head hits the pillow.
Gifts For New And Expecting Mothers
Becoming a mother is one of life’s most transformative and all-consuming experiences.
From bodily changes to sleepless nights, the rigors of breastfeeding, postpartum recovery, and being needed by a helpless human 24/7, few people are more deserving of a fantastic gift than new moms.
Here are a few ideas to provide comfort, relief, and pampering for new and expecting mothers.
#5: Portable Heated Back And Neck Massager
Pregnancy is demanding on the body and can lead to unexpected aches and pains.
Likewise, “nurture neck” (neck pain resulting from holding, feeding, and spending hours gazing at a baby) is a real problem for most new parents.
This is where a portable heated back and neck massager can be a lifesaver. New moms (and dads) can use it in rocking chairs, on the sofa, lying in bed, or even in the car for instant comfort and relief.
There are endless varieties to choose from, but generally, moms will appreciate a small and portable massager they can carry around with their baby in tow.
This delicious tea is formulated to support healthy breast milk production and hydration in new mothers while providing comfort and warmth.*
Lactation Support Herbal Tea is made with Goat’s Rue, Fenugreek, Marshmallow, and Nettles, which have been traditionally used to nourish lactating women for centuries.*
Each box contains 16 tea bags and can be combined with Lactation Support Liquid Phyto-Caps® for extra support.*
This tea is excellent to pair with a portable ceramic stay-warm mug for those long days (and nights) or nursing.
*Not for use during pregnancy.
Gifts To Support Women’s Energy
Women take on a lot in life, especially as they get older and begin to juggle family with more demanding careers and other caregiving responsibilities (not to mention side hustles, hobbies, and keeping up a social life).
All this can put self-care routines on the back burner and lead to feelings of fatigue. Here are some energy-supportive gifts for the multi-tasking, ambitious, and wonderful women in your life.
Adaptogens are a class of herbs that support the body’s stress response and energy levels. Gaia’s Everyday Adaptogen contains a blend of herbs from around the world, including:
- Maca: Also known as Peruvian Ginseng, this root vegetable has been used to support women’s health, energy, and vitality for centuries*
- Cordyceps: An adaptogenic mushroom used extensively in traditional Chinese wellness formulas
- Rhodiola: Arose-scented herb native to Russia that helped people thrive in harsh climates
- Ashwagandha: Also known as Indian Ginseng, this herb is foundational in many traditional Ayurvedic wellness formulas (Ayurveda is the traditional wellness system of India) and supports normal energy, sleep, and stress response*
Active, busy women love this blend because it gives them a sustainable energy source and calm without the jitters or crashes of caffeine or energy drinks.*
#8: Organic, Fair-Trade, Low- or No-Sugar Chocolates
We all know how most women feel about chocolate. It’s not only comforting and indulgent, but it provides a nice hit of energy when the three o’clock crashes hit.
Fortunately, you can now find a variety of vegan, low-sugar or no-sugar, organic, fair-trade chocolates that provide a natural source of energy without the junk.
Some options include:
- 70-80% dark chocolate
- Stevia-sweetened chocolates
- Coconut sugar-sweetened chocolates
- Vegan chocolates and truffles (usually with added oat or nut milks)
Always look for fair-trade, organic, non-GMO, and soy-free, and give the gift of a healthier afternoon pick-me-up.
Stress-Busting Gifts For Women
Help ring in the joy and drive out the stress of the holiday season with these stress-busting gifts for women.
These little gems provide one of our most popular herbs for stress (organic Ashwagandha) in a 100% real fruit-sweetened gummy.*
These gummies help support a balanced response to daily stress and can be kept on your nightstand or in your desk.* . They also make a great stocking stuffer!
#10: Meditation App Subscriptions
Mindfulness meditation is one of the healthiest ways to manage stress, boost performance, and even improve sleep*. But who has time to learn?
Fortunately, meditation apps make it easy for anyone to practice regular mindfulness in just a few minutes a day.
There are various subscriptions and programs to choose from, most of which let the user select individual meditations for specific concerns such as stress, sleep, focus, racing thoughts, mindset, etc.
Give The Gift Of Better Sleep
High-quality sleep is paramount to a healthy lifestyle. Unfortunately, many women suffer from occasional sleeplessness (especially those with kids)…which can put a damper on a busy day.
Here are some all-natural gifts to help ensure a better night’s rest.
#11: Weighted Blankets
Weighted blankets have become all the rage as an all-natural way to help adults and children relax, unwind, and get a better night’s rest.
They work by stimulating deep pressure points that help relax the nervous system. The sensation is meant to mimic the feeling of receiving a comforting hug.
Some weighted blankets come with glass or plastic beads or ball bearings inside, while others are made simply with heavy fabrics like cotton, wool, etc.
This article from The Sleep Foundation has helpful tips on their top recommended brands of 2022. You can also search “sustainable weighted blankets” or “organic weighted blankets” to find options made with natural fibers.
Opting for a throw-style blanket between 10-15 pounds is usually a safe bet for most women.
However, if you want to offer a truly custom experience, it’s helpful to know the person’s weight to get the correct size (generally, you want the weight of the blanket to be 10% of their total weight). In this case, a gift certificate to a retailer that sells weighted blankets would be the best way to go.
This product is a must-have for anyone who occasionally struggles to fall asleep. The combination of gentle herbs, including California poppy, Skullcap, Passionflower, and Hops, provide relaxation and support a natural transition to sleep.*
Pair this with a weighted blanket, and you’ll have one happy and rested gift-ee.
Happy Holidays from our Gaia Herbs family to yours!
- 1. GRAHAM BINDER, "Researchers with the College of AGNR study nutrient-packed microgreens", College of Agriculture & Natural Resources, September 6, 2012. https://agnr.umd.edu/news/mighty-microgreens 1 1. GRAHAM BINDER, "Researchers with the College of AGNR study nutrient-packed microgreens", College of Agriculture & Natural Resources, September 6, 2012. https://agnr.umd.edu/news/mighty-microgreens
- 2. GAO, "While Levels in Clothing Generally Appear to Be Low, Allergic Contact Dermatitis Is a Health Issue for Some People", United States Government Accountability Office, Report to Congressional Committees, August 2010. https://www.gao.gov/assets/gao-10-875.pdf 2 2. GAO, "While Levels in Clothing Generally Appear to Be Low, Allergic Contact Dermatitis Is a Health Issue for Some People", United States Government Accountability Office, Report to Congressional Committees, August 2010. https://www.gao.gov/assets/gao-10-875.pdf