December can be one of the most stressful months of the year for many. With the busyness of the holidays, extra travel, wrapping up the end of the year’s work, completing exams, and engaging more socially, our minds can feel the burden of this extra stress at the end of the day. We may experience brain fatigue, headaches, mental overwhelm, and poor memory. However, by thinking preventively, we can support our brain function every day with the simple practice of incorporating herbal nootropics, adaptogens, and anti-inflammatory herbs into our daily routine.*
This is so easily done with the Mind Spring™ formula from Gaia Herbs. Made with a synergistic blend of Lion's Mane and Reishi mushrooms, combined with Turmeric, Ginkgo, Gotu Kola, and Holy Basil, this targeted blend helps to support overall brain health and recall, and is a wonderful addition to your nutrition or supplement routine during especially stressful times.*
This recipe was created with the stressed and over-worked in mind. During the end of the year, our mind can use as much support as possible. This richly nutrient-dense mineral broth incorporates Gaia Herbs Mind Spring™ powder to form a deliciously nourishing, whole body supporting broth that’s just like sipping on a tea.* With every sip, you can support your brain health and recall while feeding your body a nutrient-dense beverage.* One batch of this broth can last you several days, and can be stored for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Nourishing Mind Spring™ Broth
- 8 cups, filtered water
- 1 yellow onion, chopped into large wedges
- 4 celery stalks (tops included), coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup dried Shiitake mushrooms
- 2 Reishi mushroom slices
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon pink salt
- 1/3 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Mind Spring™ powder
- In a medium sized pot, add all ingredients except the Mind Spring™ powder, and stir to combine.
- Bring to a gentle boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Let cook for 1 hour.
- Remove from heat and strain out the liquid from the pot. Compost the vegetables.
- Save the liquid in a large glass jar or container and serve 6 ounces at a time, up to twice daily.
- With each serving, consume warm, with 1 teaspoon of Gaia Herbs Mind Spring™ powder, and stir to incorporate.
This powder can be added to a smoothie, dairy or non-dairy milk, or any other beverage of choice. Not for use during pregnancy or lactation. If you have a medical condition or take medications, please consult with your doctor before use. Store away from children. Store out of direct sunlight and in a cool, dry place.
Article and Photographs by Lindsay Kluge (@gingertonicbotanicals)
Lindsay Kluge MS, CNS, LDN, is a clinical herbalist and nutritionist, blogger, teacher and writer based in Lexington, VA. She is the creative spirit behind Ginger Tonic Botanicals, her wellness and herbal blog where she muses on herbal teas, simple nutritious recipes, and outdoor adventures to connect more deeply with the plant world. She spends much of her time as adjunct faculty with the Maryland University of Integrative Health teaching nutrition students, and contributes research, writing, stories, and herbal related articles to publications worldwide. Outside of her home office, you’ll find her backpacking the Blue Ridge Mountains with her dog, Gromit, pressing flowers around the fields of her home, rock climbing everywhere she can, and tending a quaint organic vegetable and herb garden.
FOLLOW LINDSAY ON INSTAGRAM: @GINGERTONICBOTANICALS