Galentine’s Day, a twist on Valentine’s Day, is no longer just a trend.
It’s become a once-a-year movement celebrating women’s friendships, love, and empowerment.
It’s also a great excuse to get together with your besties for a girl’s night out, spa day, or gift exchange.
In this article, we share 14 ideas for sustainable-themed Galentine’s Day gifts your friends and family will adore.
What is Galentine’s Day?
Nope, that’s not a typo.
Galentine’s Day takes place on February 13 and celebrates friendships (typically) between women.
Galentine’s Day originated on the hit comedy series Parks and Recreation, where the main character, Leslie Knope, created the day to celebrate the women in her life with brunch, drinks, and camaraderie.
Galentine’s Day traditions somewhat mirror Valentine’s Day and may include parties (brunch with waffles is considered customary), gift-giving, cards, candy, self-care rituals, and other celebrations.
Feeling inspired to celebrate your best friends this year?
Here are 14 sustainable gift ideas they’re sure to love.
#1: Organic Bath Bombs or Shower Steamers
Bath bombs and shower steamers are a fantastic way for your friends to relax at home, even if they’re short on time.
For a sustainable twist, look for bath bombs and shower steamers made from:
- Organic ingredients, like shea butter or cocoa butter
- Pure essential oils instead of artificial fragrance
- Real herbs, flowers, and/or mineral salts, which look beautiful land add to the therapeutic value
You could also DIY a batch of bath bombs or shower steamers for a group of friends or buy them a DIY kit.
There are endless how-to tutorials and suppliers of sustainably-sourced ingredients online.
#2: Inspiring Books, Such as the Goodnight Stories for Rebel Girls Series
These book series, featuring some of history’s most accomplished and inspiring women, were created for tweens and teens.
However, the one-page stories that make up the novels are so riveted, moving, and inspiring that they make a perfect gift for grownups as well.
You can find the Rebel Girl series at any online or brick-and-mortar bookshop.
#3: A Thrift Gift Card
If you have a friend who loves thrifting, why not give them a gift card to their favorite consignment shop or secondhand store?
Not only is thrifting easy on the wallet, but buying secondhand clothing is one of the best things you can do for the environment.
Thrifting is part of the slow-fashion movement, which sprung up in response to the negative impacts of fast fashion on the environment.
For example, did you know it takes over 2,700 liters of water to make one t-shirt?
Or that the shoe and clothing industry account for over 10% of greenhouse gasses, 20% of water pollution, and 35% of microplastic pollution globally (from synthetic fabrics)? REF#431
That’s not including the manufacturing of fashion accessories.
The bottom line is giving the gift of thrift is something you, and your friends, can feel good about.
#4: A Selection of Herbal Teas
Sure, a bottle of wine can be a great accompaniment to a girl’s night out.
However, a box of tea will last a lot longer and offer relaxation, warmth, and potential health benefits too.
When choosing a tea for Galentine’s Day, consider blends that focus on supporting women’s health and easing tension.
At Gaia Herbs, we have several teas fit for the job, including:
- Organic Hibiscus: A floral and fruity blend with ruby red Hibiscus and Mandarin essential oil. Perfect for supporting heart health and promoting relaxation*
- Organic Green Tea: Tthe perfect all-natural energizer*
- Lactation Support: Ideal for new mothers, this tasty herbal blend is designed to support healthy breast milk production and postpartum health*
If your friend is a real tea-lover, consider making her a gift set with three teas, a pretty mug, and a jar of local honey.
#5: Non-Toxic Candles
According to manufacturer surveys by the National Candle Association, 90% of all candles are purchased by women. REF#432
This means candles are a pretty safe bet for Galentine’s Day!
However, when it comes to finding the perfect candle, quality counts.
For example, most scented candles are a toxic mix of petroleum products and artificial fragrances—neither are healthy for people or the environment.
Fortunately, there are non-toxic candles available for the savvy shopper.
Here’s what to look for:
- 100% beeswax candles
- Soy-based candles
- Hemp-based candles
- Unscented or scented only with 100% pure essential oils
- Non-toxic wax melts as an alternative to avoid smoke inhalation
In the spirit of Galentine’s Day, you may even wish to look for non-toxic candles from woman-owned companies.
#6: Meditation App Subscriptions
Mindfulness meditation has gone mainstream for good reason.
Anyone can learn to do it, and research has shown it’s effective for anxiety, stress, focus, sleep, and overall health. REF#433
Plus, thanks to technology, you can now give the gift of meditation instruction.
There are many different online meditation classes and/or apps to choose from.
Some require the purchase of gear, but others only require an affordable monthly or yearly subscription, a Smartphone, and a willingness to kick back and chill out for 10 minutes.
A quick online search will give you the details on the most popular courses and apps for your friends.
Maca root has become popular among women for its traditional use as an energy booster, aphrodisiac, and hormonal balancer.*
Maca is an adaptogen, meaning it helps the body and mind maintain resilience during stressful times.*
It also tastes delicious thanks to cacao, making it a popular addition to chocolates, baked goods, and protein powders.
Gaia Herbs formulated Maca Boost Cacao Ginger with taste and health benefits in mind.
This warming chocolatey blend combines Maca with Cacao, Ginger, and Rhodiola (another well-known adaptogen with a rose-like flavor) with no added sweeteners or flavors.
It tastes great combined with coffee or tea as a latte or mixed into any variety of recipes, including:
For more information on Maca, check out: 9 Maca Benefits Women’s Health, Hormones, and Happiness.
#8: An Infuser Water Bottle
If your friends are bored with unflavored water, they may appreciate a new way to get enough water.
An infuser water bottle looks like a regular water bottle, except it has a slotted chamber that fits inside for fruit, vegetables, or herbs.
Your friend can fill the infuser with whatever combination they enjoy, place it in the bottle, fill it up at home or work, and enjoy spa-quality water all day.
When choosing the best infuser bottle for your friend, consider the following:
- Size/capacity: Would your friend want large, medium, or small?
- Materials: Would your friend prefer glass, plastic, or stainless steel (Hint: a very health-conscious, eco-conscious friend will likely want glass or stainless steel)?
- Quality: Read reviews to determine which bottle will go the distance and how users rated their experience.
For an added flourish, include a few water-infusion recipes on cards and some fruit, like cucumber, lemon, and orange.
#9: Organic Herbal Gummies for Stress, Relaxation, and Healthy Sleep
For the friend who always has candies in her purse, herbal gummies make a fantastic gift.
Gaia Herbs certified organic gummies feature various health-supportive herbal blends in a tasty, 100% fruit-sweetened, vegan gummy.
Our most popular gummies include:
- Black Elderberry Extra Strength: For daily immune support*
- Sleep Gummies: With Ashwagandha, Passionflower, Reishi, and Jujube date for a healthy night’s sleep*
- Ashwagandha Gummies: Supports energy and a healthy stress response*
For a real show-stopper gift, we also offer Gaia Gummies Bundle with one bottle of each gummy (Black Elderberry Adult Daily, Sleep, Ashwagandha, Relax, and Turmeric Supreme) at a discounted price.
Flowers are synonymous with Valentine’s Day, but sustainably-sourced flower arrangements can be pricey (albeit a lovely gift!).
Instead, treat your bestie to a packet of wildflower seeds she can plant in her garden, lawn, or pots in the spring or summer.
Wildflower seeds are widely available at garden stores or online and take minimal effort or knowledge to grow.
Just wait until the last frost date in your area, dig a shallow trench or hole, sprinkle them in, cover lightly, and water a bit.
Plus, many varieties will come back year after year (they’re hardy, just like good friendships).
Include the packet in a handmade card and tell her to think of your friendship whenever she looks out at her wildflowers.
Along the same lines, a low-maintenance potted plant, such as succulents or a Wandering Jew, or an indoor herb garden also make delightful gifts.
#11: Flower-Infused Chocolates
Nearly every girl yearns for a nice hit of chocolate on Galentines Day…or any time.
To make that chocolatey gift extra special, consider ultra-feminine flower-infused chocolates from a fair-trade and/or local chocolate shop.
You can typically find flavors like Lavender, Rose, Nasturtium, and Chamomile infused with fruit and other romantic adornments.
Gaia Herbs Sound Sleep will be a welcomed gift for any friend who occasionally struggles with sleep due to stress, new babies, or life changes.*
This gentle herbal formula includes California poppy, Skullcap, Passionflower, and Hops, to provide relaxation and support a natural transition to sleep.*
Our Sleep Gummies (as mentioned previously) offer the same formula in gummy form versus capsule.
#13: Heated Aromatherapy Slippers
For the friend who loathes the cold weather or is on her feet all day, heated aromatherapy slippers offer comfort and relief.
There are various styles to choose from, but most are a sock-like slipper design with an herbal-infused insert you can heat up in the microwave.
Once warmed, you pop the insert back into the slipper, sit back, and enjoy toasty warm feet with a pleasant scent from the herbs.
This is a more sustainable alternative to a big, clunky, plastic foot spa and will last for years if cared for properly.
#14: An Amber Necklace
You may have seen babies and toddlers wearing amber necklaces.
That’s because they’ve been used in Baltic folklore to soothe teething symptoms and inflammation.*
It is believed the amber reacts with the warmth of the skin, causing a release of succinic acid, which can help with the pain.*
Although there is new evidence backing some of Baltic Amber’s potential healing properties, REF#434 its use for pain and inflammation has not been proven.
However, many parents swear by the power of amber as a natural teething reliever.
Their popularity with parents has made them a sought-after item for adults seeking natural solutions for headaches, tooth pain, jaw clenching, neck pain, stress, anxiety, arthritis, etc.*
Plus, amber is gorgeous, affordable, and goes with just about everything. It’s a win-win.
You can find various amber necklaces for adults in baby stores and online.
Here are some tips on selecting a high-quality amber necklace for your Galentine:
- Advocates recommend 100% genuine, unpolished, and raw Baltic amber for the best pain benefits.
- The lighter-colored amber is believed to possess greater benefits, although all colors are considered helpful.
- Make sure the necklace is adult-sized vs. baby-sized.
- For a truly unique gift, visit artisan shops, gem shops, jewelry stores, or baby shops and inquire about custom necklaces. Other stones, such as amethyst or lapis, can often be added to an amber necklace to create a custom piece.
From all of us at Gaia Herbs, we wish you and your friends a happy and empowered Galentine’s Day!
- 1. European Parliament News Headlines, "The impact of textile production and waste on the environment (infographic)", Society Updated: 26-04-2022 - 14:16 Created: 29-12-2020 - 08:00. https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/headlines/society/20201208STO93327/the-impact-of-textile-production-and-waste-on-the-environment-infographic 1 1. European Parliament News Headlines, "The impact of textile production and waste on the environment (infographic)", Society Updated: 26-04-2022 - 14:16 Created: 29-12-2020 - 08:00. https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/headlines/society/20201208STO93327/the-impact-of-textile-production-and-waste-on-the-environment-infographic
- 2. Cadles.org, "About the Candle Industry", FACTS & FIGURES. https://candles.org/facts-figures-2/ 2 2. Cadles.org, "About the Candle Industry", FACTS & FIGURES. https://candles.org/facts-figures-2/
- 3. Gaia Herbs, "Calm Kit", Home/Shop All/Stress Support/Calm Kit. https://www.gaiaherbs.com/products/calm-kit 3 3. Gaia Herbs, "Calm Kit", Home/Shop All/Stress Support/Calm Kit. https://www.gaiaherbs.com/products/calm-kit
- 4. American Chemical Society, "Paleopharmaceuticals from Baltic amber might fight drug-resistant infections", ACS Discover Chemistry News Releases 2021 Paleopharmaceuticals from Baltic amber might fight drug-resistant infections. https://www.acs.org/pressroom/newsreleases/2021/april/paelopharmaceuticals-from-baltic-amber-might-fight-drug-resistant-infections.html 4 4. American Chemical Society, "Paleopharmaceuticals from Baltic amber might fight drug-resistant infections", ACS Discover Chemistry News Releases 2021 Paleopharmaceuticals from Baltic amber might fight drug-resistant infections. https://www.acs.org/pressroom/newsreleases/2021/april/paelopharmaceuticals-from-baltic-amber-might-fight-drug-resistant-infections.html