This homemade applesauce is a simple, fun twist on a classic recipe – and great for lunch boxes!
45 minutes to prepare and cook
- 3 pounds tart apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Black Elderberry Syrup or GaiaKids® Black Elderberry Syrup
- Place a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Add the apples and cinnamon, along with 1 cup water.
- Heat uncovered until the apples come to a simmer, then cover and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook, stirring often and using the back of a wooden spoon to break down some of the apples, for 30 minutes, until apples are slightly tender but still chunky.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Gaia Herbs Black Elderberry Syrup.
- Puree if desired.
- Allow to cool and transfer to glass jars. Refrigerate for up to one week.
Each portion contains a 1 teaspoon daily serving of Gaia Herbs Black Elderberry Syrup.