Did you know? While Maca is often eaten fresh in Peru, it is exported only in dried, powdered form. Maca Powder (or one of our MacaBoost dietary powders) is the most convenient and popular way to add it to your daily routine. Since it dissolves easily and has a pleasant taste, you can stir it into a preworkout green juice or blend it into a protein shake after exercise. (If you're really on the go, Maca also comes in capsule form.)This Minty Maca Shamrock Smoothie is simple to make after a long hike or a tough WOD. And, if you've decided to imbibe in something else on St. Paddy's Day, it's just as delicious the next day, when you might be craving something a little healthier. (If you're new to green smoothies, not to worry: The spinach adds color, but it blends right in and can't really be tasted.)
With the cooling freshness of mint and a caffeine-free boost of energy from Maca, this smoothie is just what you need to reach that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1 teaspoon Gaia Herbs Certified Organic Maca Powder
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional)
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 dropperful Gaia Herbs Peppermint Leaf Certified Organic Liquid Herbal Extract (see note)
- ¼ cup fresh mint
- 1 small frozen banana, sliced
- 1 cup ice
- Blend all the ingredients except for ice until smooth.
- Add the ice, and blend again until smooth.
- The Peppermint Leaf Liquid Herbal Extract makes this smoothie very minty. If you want a milder mint taste, use only the fresh mint.
- For a “shake” instead of a smoothie, swap in your favorite vanilla ice cream (we love coconut milk ice cream) for the vanilla almond milk!